Automated Project-Production Scheduling Process to Optimise Factory OutputClient Name:
E&I Engineering Group
About E&I Engineering
E&I Engineering was founded in 1987. In 2002 the company moved to Burnfoot, Donegal. It manufactures bespoke Electrical Switchgear (E&I Engineering Ltd) and Busbar Trunking Systems (Powerbar Ltd) for the building services sector. There is also a manufacturing facility in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to service the Middle East region. It also just opened a facility in the USA in 2014 to service the US market.
Due to the significant growth in business, E&I identified that the current system of project management and production scheduling required a major overhaul. It was too manual and cumbersome to ensure live and accurate information was available.
Putting Lean into Practice
- Process Mapping was used to understand the end-to-end process, Mapped current processes and identifed different categories of projects to agree changes towards a future state.
- Developed lead time profile by operation for each category of project.
- Used online visual management to communicate and manage the process; to measure, display and act on data daily to highlight progress and issues.
- Used Heijunka (level loading) techniques to develop scheduling process.
- Used Lean Principle of pull system to develop a backward scheduling process.
- Used daily PIT meetings to review performance to plan.
- 30%+ increase in throughput
- 20%+ improvement in productivity
- Fully functional scheduling process.
Framework tools applied
- Process Mapping
- Visual Management
- Heijunka Techniques
- Lean Principle - Pull System