Productivity Improvement in a High Volume Food Packing HallClient Name:
Irish Dog Foods
About Irish Dog Foods
Irish Dog Foods specialise in the production of quality pet food and treats for both dogs and cats based on Naas, Co. Kildare. The company, founded in the eighties was taken over by the Queally Group in 2002 and has since expanded its operations across four separate sites between Ireland and the UK. It manages both its own portfolio of brands including its own signature brands Madra and Irish Rover and supplies into the private label pet food industry. With annual turnover of €55M, the Company employees 170 people.
To improve productivity in the packing hall by applying Lean principles and the PDCA problem solving methodology. To review the production planning process to ensure alignment with business need.
Putting Lean into Practice
- Provided business process improvement training, focused on lean principles, to all employees in the area, including management and supervisors.
- Implemented visual management in the area.
- Standard Work reviewed to understand and improve changeovers on the automated line.
- Made changes in production planning process to align the availability of material and resources.
- Conducted daily PIT meetings where issues were openly discussed and resolved.
- Created a forum to resolve more complex issues arising from the daily PIT meetings.
- Completed a redesign and layout of the packing hall to improve product flow, support employee standard work and enhance H&S.
- All employees in the area, including Managers and Supervisors taken through and deployed Lean tools to improve the operation.
- Increased the productivity of the packing operation by >10%.
- Formal Problem Solving through teamwork.
- Significant improvement and cost savings have been achieved through Continuous Improvement teamwork projects.
- The production planning process supports the business daily requirements.
Framework tools applied
- Process Mapping
- Standardisation of KPIs
- Problem Solving (PDCA)
- PIT Meetings
- Standard Work
- Visual Management
- Lean Training