Throughput Improvement with Lean Deployment at Callan BaconClient Name:
About Callan Bacon
Callan Bacon is a family run pork and bacon processing company based in Callan, Co. Kilkenny. The company has been in business since 1924 and moved to a purpose built 54,000 sq.. premises in 1990. Annual turnover is over €40M and the company has the capacity to process 45,000 tons of product per annum. Callan Bacon employ 140 people.
Key Programme Objectives
- Increase throughput per person in the plant.
- Direct engagement with employees to support the setting up of a continuous improvement culture.
- Establish teamwork on processing lines.
- Train and implement as many Lean tools as are needed to improve the performance of the operation.
Putting Lean into Practice
- Leadership training plus Management and Supervisory Lean training.
- Standardised method for developing and reviewing performance against KPIs across the plant
- Conducted daily PIT meetings where issues were openly discussed and resolved.
- Setout a long term strategic plan for the company with clear objectives.
- Setup and mentored continuous improvement teams focused on exceeding milestones set-out in the strategic plan.
- Improvement in master planning process to improve availability of products.
- Developed Standard Work method to understand and improve changeovers on the processing lines.
- All Management, Supervisors and lead hands taken through and deployed Lean tools to improve the operation
- Increased the throughput of the plant by 33%
- A strong continuous improvement (CI) culture has been developed through teamwork on the site.
- Significant technical breakthroughs and cost savings have been achieved through CI teamwork projects.
- A robust capacity planning module has been developed for the site.
- Capability to deploy a wide variety of Lean tools for problem solving into the future.
Framework tools applied
- Process Mapping
- Strategic Deployment
- Standardisation of KPIs
- Lean Sigma Green Belt Training
- Problem Solving
- PIT Meetings
- Standard Work
- Process Planning Improvement
- A3 Methodology