Performance Improvement in Beaumont Hospital Outpatient ServicesClient Name:
About Beaumont Hospital
Beaumont Hospital is a teaching hospital in Dublin City. It provide emergency and acute care services for a population of 290,000 people. It is also the Designated Cancer Centre and the Regional Treatment Centre for Ear, Nose and Throat, and Gastroenterology and the National Referral Centre for Neurosurgery and Neurology, Renal Transplantation, and Cochlear Implantation. Beaumont employs 3,000 staff and have 820 beds.
Beaumont Hospital launched its Outpatient Performance Improvement Programme in March 2013. This presented a significant challenge of reducing its patients wait time from four years to no ‘new routine’ patient exceeding 52 weeks for an outpatient appointment.
Putting Lean into Practice
- Developing teams to manage workstreams.
- Process Mapping was used to understand the end-to-end process; mapped the current processes and agreed organisational changes towards a future state.
- Using visual management to communicate and manage the process; used to measure, display and act on data weekly to highlight progress and issues.
- Using regular weekly performance meetings to discuss and resolve breaches to the waiting time goals.
- The use of teamwork to ensure good communication and commitment from all team members.
- Organisational redesign for one directorate implemented.
- Wait list targets achieved by 31st December 2013
Framework tools applied
- Process Mapping
- Visual Management
- PIT Meetings